









Contact
Chateau Comble SAS
15 rue du Chateau
La Mothe St-Heray
79800 France
www.chateaucomble.com
contact@chateaucomble.com
About Us
Support Us
Friends programm
Nonprofit
FAQ
Terms and Conditions

Sign up for our newsletter
We will only use your email address to send you our newsletter.
You can unsubscribe via the link in our emails
Cookies & Privacy policy
@ 2025 SAS Chateau Comblé and Comblé Foundation, All Rights Reserved
Contact
Chateau Comble SAS
15 rue du Chateau
La Mothe St-Heray
79800 France
www.chateaucomble.com
contact@chateaucomble.com
About Us
Support Us
Friends programm
Nonprofit
FAQ
Terms and Conditions
Sign up for our newsletter
We will only use your email address to send you our newsletter.
You can unsubscribe via the link in our emails
Cookies & Privacy policy
@ 2025 SAS Chateau Comblé and Comblé Foundation, All Rights Reserved
Contact
Chateau Comble SAS
15 rue du Chateau
La Mothe St-Heray
79800 France
www.chateaucomble.com
contact@chateaucomble.com
About Us
Support Us
Friends programm
Nonprofit
FAQ
Terms and Conditions
Sign up for our newsletter
We will only use your email address to send you our newsletter.
You can unsubscribe via the link in our emails
Cookies & Privacy policy
@ 2025 SAS Chateau Comblé and Comblé Foundation, All Rights Reserved
The castle dates from the 15th century, but numerous alterations took place in the 16th century and then some additions in the 19th century. The porch flanked by two towers dates from the 15th century. A bridge connecting the courtyard and the castle island was built in 1577. It was rebuilt in 1889 to the plans of Victor Surreaux in the style of the early years of the 17th century (handled arch, decorated with a bossage in diamond points and surmounted by a gallery with turned balusters). The central keystones are decorated with heads representing the Pamprou and the Sèvre. The south facade has also been completely remodeled. It is framed by watchtowers topped with pepperboxes, resting on a gallery of five arcades with lowered arches. The facade has two floors. On the second level, there is a frieze made up of 18 heads. The dormer windows are flanked by caryatids. The northern facade, more severe, has remained practically intact. It is based on two towers, one square, the other pentagonal. On the east side, the gable of the building is flanked by two watchtowers and raised by a Greek pediment bearing the motto "sy peu rien d'aultruy". To the west, a front pavilion on three levels was built in the 19th century. The very beautiful outbuildings of the castle date from the 17th century. Note the oculus highlighted with moldings and the bosses, particularly on the main door.
The castle dates from the 15th century, but numerous alterations took place in the 16th century and then some additions in the 19th century. The porch flanked by two towers dates from the 15th century. A bridge connecting the courtyard and the castle island was built in 1577. It was rebuilt in 1889 to the plans of Victor Surreaux in the style of the early years of the 17th century (handled arch, decorated with a bossage in diamond points and surmounted by a gallery with turned balusters). The central keystones are decorated with heads representing the Pamprou and the Sèvre. The south facade has also been completely remodeled. It is framed by watchtowers topped with pepperboxes, resting on a gallery of five arcades with lowered arches. The facade has two floors. On the second level, there is a frieze made up of 18 heads. The dormer windows are flanked by caryatids. The northern facade, more severe, has remained practically intact. It is based on two towers, one square, the other pentagonal. On the east side, the gable of the building is flanked by two watchtowers and raised by a Greek pediment bearing the motto "sy peu rien d'aultruy". To the west, a front pavilion on three levels was built in the 19th century. The very beautiful outbuildings of the castle date from the 17th century. Note the oculus highlighted with moldings and the bosses, particularly on the main door.
The seigneury of the Villedieu de Comblé was granted to the Frankish Knight or Chevalier Jean de Curzay in August 1354 by most liky the French King John II or John the Good of the Carpathian Valois Dynasty. It subsequently passed into the hands of the Andrault family of Poitiers, then into those of the Gilliers, through the marriage, around 1410, of Etienne Gillier and Andrée Andrault. The Gilliers remained masters of the castle for nearly three centuries. A few years later, Etienne Gillier obtained authorization from Charles VI to build a fortified house to resist the English. The castle occupied, in fact, a strategic position, because it was located on an island and protected by an initial enclosure of ditches surrounding a vast courtyard. On the occasion of the trial of Jacques Cœur in Lusignan, Etienne Gillier received Charles VII at the Château de la Villedieu. Around 1543, Joachim Gillier undertook the reconstruction of the residence, but the troubles of the Wars of Religion did not allow him to complete the work. They were completed by his wife Gabrielle Dupuy and their son Claude. The Gillier family died out in 1684, when Henriette Marie Anne Gillier married Jean d'Aitz de Mesmy, Marquis de la Guillotière. He obtained from the king in 1698 that the castellany of Villedieu be established as a marquisate. During the Revolution, the estate was seized and sold as national property. It was acquired on 8 Messidor Year V by the conventional Dubreuil-Chambardel, who sold it in 1817 to Philippe Bernard. The castle then passed to the Garran de Balzan family, then to Georges Richard, deputy for Deux-Sèvres in 1886, who had married Miss Garran de Balzan.
The seigneury of the Villedieu de Comblé was granted to the Frankish Knight or Chevalier Jean de Curzay in August 1354 by most liky the French King John II or John the Good of the Carpathian Valois Dynasty. It subsequently passed into the hands of the Andrault family of Poitiers, then into those of the Gilliers, through the marriage, around 1410, of Etienne Gillier and Andrée Andrault. The Gilliers remained masters of the castle for nearly three centuries. A few years later, Etienne Gillier obtained authorization from Charles VI to build a fortified house to resist the English. The castle occupied, in fact, a strategic position, because it was located on an island and protected by an initial enclosure of ditches surrounding a vast courtyard. On the occasion of the trial of Jacques Cœur in Lusignan, Etienne Gillier received Charles VII at the Château de la Villedieu. Around 1543, Joachim Gillier undertook the reconstruction of the residence, but the troubles of the Wars of Religion did not allow him to complete the work. They were completed by his wife Gabrielle Dupuy and their son Claude. The Gillier family died out in 1684, when Henriette Marie Anne Gillier married Jean d'Aitz de Mesmy, Marquis de la Guillotière. He obtained from the king in 1698 that the castellany of Villedieu be established as a marquisate. During the Revolution, the estate was seized and sold as national property. It was acquired on 8 Messidor Year V by the conventional Dubreuil-Chambardel, who sold it in 1817 to Philippe Bernard. The castle then passed to the Garran de Balzan family, then to Georges Richard, deputy for Deux-Sèvres in 1886, who had married Miss Garran de Balzan.
The Chateau was seized and sold as national property during the Revolution of 1789 and the last descendant, Francois de Paule Daitz de Mesmy was guillotined in Paris. The castle then passed to the noble Garran de Balzan family, then via marriage to Georges Richard, deputy of Deux-Sèvres in 1886, who married Miss Louise Garran de Balzan. The home then passed in the 1990s to the Bourguignon family, Mr. Christian Bourguignon embarked on a vast and precise renovation for close to 30 years of the facades, moats and gardens. The current owners Mr. Julian Johnston and Mr. James Wall are continuing the formers renovation and have added substantially to the estate's gardens, properties and interior
renovations and decor.
The Chateau was seized and sold as national property during the Revolution of 1789 and the last descendant, Francois de Paule Daitz de Mesmy was guillotined in Paris. The castle then passed to the noble Garran de Balzan family, then via marriage to Georges Richard, deputy of Deux-Sèvres in 1886, who married Miss Louise Garran de Balzan. The home then passed in the 1990s to the Bourguignon family, Mr. Christian Bourguignon embarked on a vast and precise renovation for close to 30 years of the facades, moats and gardens. The current owners Mr. Julian Johnston and Mr. James Wall are continuing the formers renovation and have added substantially to the estate's gardens, properties and interior
renovations and decor.
The dwelling has an elegant Renaissance south façade pierced by an arcaded gallery on the ground floor, decorated with dormer windows with sculpted caryatids and a frieze carved with heads under the cornice; it is framed by corbelled turrets and flanked by a pavilion added in the 19th century. The east pure renaissance facade has a unique triangular tympanum, a sculpted angel looking skywards with the Gilliers family motto below reads Si Peu Rien d'Autry for over 500 years. The chateau is surrounded by very beautiful 15th and 17th century listed outbuildings that house the Foundation Comble.
The dwelling has an elegant Renaissance south façade pierced by an arcaded gallery on the ground floor, decorated with dormer windows with sculpted caryatids and a frieze carved with heads under the cornice; it is framed by corbelled turrets and flanked by a pavilion added in the 19th century. The east pure renaissance facade has a unique triangular tympanum, a sculpted angel looking skywards with the Gilliers family motto below reads Si Peu Rien d'Autry for over 500 years. The chateau is surrounded by very beautiful 15th and 17th century listed outbuildings that house the Foundation Comble.
The subsequent Gilliers generations rebuilt the residence in the 1530's after Joachim Gillers had traveled to Italy, the architectural style chosen was the fashionable Italianate Renaissance style we see today, the east facade is intact in its pure 16th century state and the corbelled balconies are unique to the entire region and are therefore clearly an Italian import. The estate in 1684 then passed thru marriage via the last living relative of the Gilliers family, Henriette Marie-Anne Gilliers, to Jean Daitz de Mesmy the Marquis de la Guillotière, the estate was granted a Marquisate in April 1698 from Louis XIV the Sun King at Versailles and stayed in this illustrious family for under a century.
The subsequent Gilliers generations rebuilt the residence in the 1530's after Joachim Gillers had traveled to Italy, the architectural style chosen was the fashionable Italianate Renaissance style we see today, the east facade is intact in its pure 16th century state and the corbelled balconies are unique to the entire region and are therefore clearly an Italian import. The estate in 1684 then passed thru marriage via the last living relative of the Gilliers family, Henriette Marie-Anne Gilliers, to Jean Daitz de Mesmy the Marquis de la Guillotière, the estate was granted a Marquisate in April 1698 from Louis XIV the Sun King at Versailles and stayed in this illustrious family for under a century.



The Gilliers family received the authorization from King Charles VI to construct a fortified house built in the 15th century to resist the English invasion as the boarder was forever changing and was at times only kilometers away. In the 1451 King Charles VII lived for months at Chateau Comble during the trial of his Minister of Finance Jacques Coeur in nearby Lusignan and the small 80cm wide Gothic staircase on the north facade dates from this era as a secret connection for the King up to his famous mistress Agnes Sorel's bedchamber above.
The Gilliers family received the authorization from King Charles VI to construct a fortified house built in the 15th century to resist the English invasion as the boarder was forever changing and was at times only kilometers away. In the 1451 King Charles VII lived for months at Chateau Comble during the trial of his Minister of Finance Jacques Coeur in nearby Lusignan and the small 80cm wide Gothic staircase on the north facade dates from this era as a secret connection for the King up to his famous mistress Agnes Sorel's bedchamber above.
Since Roman times a fortified building existed to protect the fork in the Pamproux river and the Roman road crossing. Comble, a Celtic word that means confluence or gathering place, Villedieu translates to the City of God. The fiefdom of Villedieu de Comblé was granted in August 1354 to the knight Jean de Curzay, then it passed to the Andrault family of Saint Maixent, a nearby village with Roman Gallo origins. Around 1410 and for nearly three centuries thereafter, it became the property thru marriage of Gilliers family, the Lord Mayors of Poitiers, the then capital of all of France.
Since Roman times a fortified building existed to protect the fork in the Pamproux river and the Roman road crossing. Comble, a Celtic word that means confluence or gathering place, Villedieu translates to the City of God. The fiefdom of Villedieu de Comblé was granted in August 1354 to the knight Jean de Curzay, then it passed to the Andrault family of Saint Maixent, a nearby village with Roman Gallo origins. Around 1410 and for nearly three centuries thereafter, it became the property thru marriage of Gilliers family, the Lord Mayors of Poitiers, the then capital of all of France.





Since Roman times a fortified building existed to protect the fork in the Pamproux river and the Roman road crossing. Comble, a Celtic word that means confluence or gathering place, Villedieu translates to the City of God. The fiefdom of Villedieu de Comblé was granted in August 1354 to the knight Jean de Curzay, then it passed to the Andrault family of Saint Maixent, a nearby village with Roman Gallo origins. Around 1410 and for nearly three centuries thereafter, it became the property thru marriage of Gilliers family, the Lord Mayors of Poitiers, the then capital of all of France.
The Gilliers family received the authorization from King Charles VI to construct a fortified house built in the 15th century to resist the English invasion as the boarder was forever changing and was at times only kilometers away. In the 1451 King Charles VII lived for months at Chateau Comble during the trial of his Minister of Finance Jacques Coeur in nearby Lusignan and the small 80cm wide Gothic staircase on the north facade dates from this era as a secret connection for the King up to his famous mistress Agnes Sorel's bedchamber above.
The Chateau was seized and sold as national property during the Revolution of 1789 and the last descendant, Francois de Paule Daitz de Mesmy was guillotined in Paris. The castle then passed to the noble Garran de Balzan family, then via marriage to Georges Richard, deputy of Deux-Sèvres in 1886, who married Miss Louise Garran de Balzan. The home then passed in the 1990s to the Bourguignon family, Mr. Christian Bourguignon embarked on a vast and precise renovation for close to 30 years of the facades, moats and gardens. The current owners Mr. Julian Johnston and Mr. James Wall are continuing the formers renovation and have added substantially to the estate's gardens, properties and interior renovations and decor.
The dwelling has an elegant Renaissance south façade pierced by an arcaded gallery on the ground floor, decorated with dormer windows with sculpted caryatids and a frieze carved with heads under the cornice; it is framed by corbelled turrets and flanked by a pavilion added in the 19th century. The east pure renaissance facade has a unique triangular tympanum, a sculpted angel looking skywards with the Gilliers family motto below reads Si Peu Rien d'Autry for over 500 years. The chateau is surrounded by very beautiful 15th and 17th century listed outbuildings that house the Foundation Comble.


The seigneury of the Villedieu de Comblé was granted to the Frankish Knight or Chevalier Jean de Curzay in August 1354 by most liky the French King John II or John the Good of the Carpathian Valois Dynasty. It subsequently passed into the hands of the Andrault family of Poitiers, then into those of the Gilliers, through the marriage, around 1410, of Etienne Gillier and Andrée Andrault. The Gilliers remained masters of the castle for nearly three centuries. A few years later, Etienne Gillier obtained authorization from Charles VI to build a fortified house to resist the English. The castle occupied, in fact, a strategic position, because it was located on an island and protected by an initial enclosure of ditches surrounding a vast courtyard. On the occasion of the trial of Jacques Cœur in Lusignan, Etienne Gillier received Charles VII at the Château de la Villedieu. Around 1543, Joachim Gillier undertook the reconstruction of the residence, but the troubles of the Wars of Religion did not allow him to complete the work. They were completed by his wife Gabrielle Dupuy and their son Claude. The Gillier family died out in 1684, when Henriette Marie Anne Gillier married Jean d'Aitz de Mesmy, Marquis de la Guillotière. He obtained from the king in 1698 that the castellany of Villedieu be established as a marquisate. During the Revolution, the estate was seized and sold as national property. It was acquired on 8 Messidor Year V by the conventional Dubreuil-Chambardel, who sold it in 1817 to Philippe Bernard. The castle then passed to the Garran de Balzan family, then to Georges Richard, deputy for Deux-Sèvres in 1886, who had married Miss Garran de Balzan.
The castle dates from the 15th century, but numerous alterations took place in the 16th century and then some additions in the 19th century. The porch flanked by two towers dates from the 15th century. A bridge connecting the courtyard and the castle island was built in 1577. It was rebuilt in 1889 to the plans of Victor Surreaux in the style of the early years of the 17th century (handled arch, decorated with a bossage in diamond points and surmounted by a gallery with turned balusters). The central keystones are decorated with heads representing the Pamprou and the Sèvre. The south facade has also been completely remodeled. It is framed by watchtowers topped with pepperboxes, resting on a gallery of five arcades with lowered arches. The facade has two floors. On the second level, there is a frieze made up of 18 heads. The dormer windows are flanked by caryatids. The northern facade, more severe, has remained practically intact. It is based on two towers, one square, the other pentagonal. On the east side, the gable of the building is flanked by two watchtowers and raised by a Greek pediment bearing the motto "sy peu rien d'aultruy". To the west, a front pavilion on three levels was built in the 19th century. The very beautiful outbuildings of the castle date from the 17th century. Note the oculus highlighted with moldings and the bosses, particularly on the main door.



